The Chinese Academy of Sciences (CAS) offers a package of international fellowships, collectively called the “CAS President’s International Fellowship Initiative (PIFI)”, to support highly-qualified international scientists and postgraduate students to work and study at CAS institutions and strengthen their scientific collaboration with CAS researchers. The PIFI program is available for four categories of international researchers and students: distinguished scientists, visiting scientists, postdoctoral researchers and international PhD students.
♦ Category A: PIFI for Distinguished Scientists
The CAS President’s International Fellowship for Distinguished Scientists supports leading international scientists to conduct a lecture tour at CAS for 1-2 weeks. Each professor is invited to visit at least two CAS-affiliated institutions (research institutes or universities) to lecture and interact with CAS researchers and postgraduate students. He or she is also expected to host CAS postdoctoral researchers at CAS expenses at his or her lab for a research stay of 1-3 months.
This fellowship provides each awardee with a stipend of ￥50,000per week, to cover all expenses for this lecture tour, including a round-trip international airfare, accommodation, meals, transportation and honorarium.
Candidates should be well established and internationally recognized scientists in their respective research fields, havingobtained outstanding scientific accomplishment and prestigious international honors, awards or prizes.
♦ Category B: PIFI for Visiting Scientists
The CAS President’s International Fellowship for Visiting Scientists supports high-caliber international scientists to carry out cooperative projects at CAS-affiliated institutions for 1-12 months. The fellowship aims to create or strengthen partnerships between CAS host institutions and the recipients’ home institutions.
The fellowship provides a monthly stipend to cover living expenses, health insurance in China, and economy-class round-tripinternational travel. Awardees of full professor or equivalent title, associate professor or equivalent title, and assistant professor or equivalent title will receive stipends of ￥40,000, ￥30,000 and ￥20,000 per month respectively.
Candidates should have:
1. Academic title of at least assistant professor or equivalent;
2. A record of outstanding scientific accomplishment;
3. Five years’ work experience in a well-known university, research institution or multinational corporation;
4. A collaborative research proposal prepared in cooperation with the CAS host institution.
* Successful UK applicants for category B is supported by CAS-Royal Society exchange programs under the “UK-China Research and Innovation Partnership Fund”.
♦ Category C: PIFI for Postdoctoral Researchers
The CAS President’s International Fellowship for Postdoctoral Researchers supports promising young international scientists to conduct research at CAS-affiliated institutions for 1-2 years.
CAS offers an annual salary to postdoctoral researchers to cover living expenses and health insurance in China. Each selected awardee will receive a pre-tax stipend of ￥200,000 per year. In addition, the fellowship provides an economy-class round-trip international travel.
1. Be citizens of a country which has diplomatic relations with China
2. Hold a PhD in natural or technological sciences;
3. Be under the age of 40;
4. Have a recommendation from a CAS host researcher;
5. Be able to communicate well with the CAS host researcher;
6. Present a collaborative research proposal prepared in cooperation with the CAS host institution.
* Successful UK applicants for category C is supported by CAS-Royal Society exchange programs under the “UK-China Research and Innovation Partnership Fund”.
♦ Category D: PIFI for International PhD Students
The CAS-TWAS President’s Fellowship for International PhD Students supports 200 international graduates each year, to pursue their PhD degrees at the University of the Chinese Academy of Sciences (UCAS), the University of Science and Technology of China (USTC) or CAS institutes around China.
International students will take regular training courses at UCAS/USTC for about a year and carry out research and dissertation at CAS institutes. In addition to tuition waivers, this program will provide travel support and visa application fees for selected awardee, as well as a monthly allowance to each awardee.
1. Be citizens of a country which has diplomatic relations with China ;
2. Be under the age of 35;
3. Have no other assignments during the period of his/her fellowship;
4. Meet the admission criteria for international students of UCAS/USTC;
5. Hold a Master’s degree before the start of the fellowship period;
6. Have working proficiency in either English or Chinese;
1. Applications for categories A, B or C must be submitted through the main host institution affiliated to CAS. Applications submitted by individuals will NOT be accepted.